Health Resources on Children in Disasters and Emergencies
Checklist of Essential Pediatric Domains and Considerations for Every Hospital’s Disaster Preparedness Policies from
National Pediatric Readiness Project
This site is a compendium of resources related to medical and public health issues of children in disasters and emergencies. Links are provided to both journal articles and to other documents and materials that may be useful in preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery activities. Resources are national or international in scope. The intent of this compendium is to consolidate the multitude of resources available across a variety of organizations, Web sites, databases and training sites, making the search for relevant materials simpler and more direct. The resources target health providers, emergency and community planners, and others in the disaster workforce who work with or on behalf of children.
The following organizations collaborated on the development of this page:
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Program,
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Emergency Medical Services for Children National Resource Center
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Division of At-Risk Individuals, Behavioral Health & Community Resilience, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Disaster Information Management Research Center, Specialized Information Services Division, U.S. National Library of Medicine
Disaster Lit: The Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine
Disaster Lit is a compilation of information resources on disaster medicine and public health, disaster management and clinical aspects related to both emergency and public health preparedness collected from a wide variety of sources. Documents from the EMSC PedPrepared database have been included in Disaster Lit.
PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine
PubMed comprises over 24 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. PubMed citations and abstracts include the fields of biomedicine and health, covering portions of the life sciences, behavioral sciences, chemical sciences, and bioengineering.
Resources by Topic
This section contains links to biomedical journal articles indexed in PubMed and to non-commercially published documents and resources which have been evaluated and included in Disaster Lit, a database of links to disaster medicine and public health documents freely available on the Internet. Searchers of information about children and disasters can start with the pre-formulated searches of PubMed and Disaster Lit provided below, or go directly to those databases and construct a unique search.
- Fires and Wildfires
- Chemical Agents
- Biological Agents
- Radiologicals and Nuclear
- Children with Disabilities
- School and Care Providers
- Hospital Preparedness
- Active Shooter
- Patient Tracking and Family Reunification
Partner organizations have agreed to link to this resource page about children and disasters information. See Organizations and Agencies: Information on Children in Disasters and Emergencies below for a full list of organizations and agencies involved in the medical and public health issues of children in disasters and emergencies.
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Division of At-Risk Individuals, Behavioral Health & Community Resilience
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Program, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- EMSC National Resource Center
Additional Organizations and Agencies
- Administration for Children and Families, Office of Human Services Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Public Health Preparedness (archived content)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, Children's Working Group
- National Advisory Committee on Children and Disasters
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Emergency Medical Services
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Geological Survey, Earthquake Hazards Program
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Center for PTSD
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Emergency Preparedness and Response
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics, Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units
- Emergency Nurses Association
- National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Center for Disaster Medicine and Public Health
- National Center for Disaster Preparedness, Columbia University
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- National Resource Center for Child Protective Services
- Save the Children U.S.
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
State and Local Government
Suggest a Resource
Reference to an external Internet resource on this server does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by the National Library of Medicine of the services or views described in that resource.
PDF documents are best viewed with the free Adobe® Reader