Librarians and Libraries Respond to Disasters: Bibliography on Library Roles in Disaster Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
- Albanese A, Blumenstein L, Oder N, Rogers M. Libraries damaged, librarians respond, after hurricane’s fury. Library Journal [Internet]. 2005;130(15):16-17. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2005/09/ljarchives/libraries-damaged-librarians-respond-after-hurricanes-fury/
- Allison M. Superstorm Sandy diary: the mobile library at Peninsula. Queens Library's Blog [Internet]. 8 Mar 2013. Available from: http://www.queenslibrary.org/blog/superstorm-sandy-diary-the-mobile-library-at-peninsula
- Arnesen SJ, Cid VH, Scott JC, Perez R, Zervaas D. The Central American Network for Disaster and Health Information. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2007;95(3):316-322. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17641767
- Auflick PA. Bioterrorism and JCAHO. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2003 Jun;3(3):105–10. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J186v03n03_11
- Bambrick AT, Passman DB, Torman RM, Livinski AA, Olsen JM. Optimizing the use of chief complaint & diagnosis for operational decision making: An EMR case study of the 2010 Haiti Earthquake. PLOS Current Disasters. [Internet] 2014 Aug 27;[about 15 pages]. Available from: http://currents.plos.org/disasters/article/optimizing-the-use-of-chief-complaint-diagnosis-for-operational-decision-making-an-emr-case-study-of-the-2010-haiti-earthquake
- Barack L. Media specialists help Joplin, MO, rebuild school libraries following deadly tornado. School Library Journal [Internet]. 2011 Sept 8;[about 2 pages].
- Bardyn T. Creating the response and recovery app in Washington: a statewide disaster information partnership. As part of Enhancing library impact through technology. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2015 Oct;103(4):222-231. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4613389/
- Barger R. Creating a readiness culture within Pennsylvania libraries. The MAR Report: Quarterly Newsletter of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). [Internet]. 2015 Winter. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/mar/newsletter/2015/02/creating-a-readiness-culture-within-pennsylvania-libraries/
- Bauman M, Bishop R. Our libraries were ports in the storm. In Superstorm Sandy recovery: one year later. New Jersey Municipalities. 2013 Oct: 16-17. Available from: http://lss.njstatelib.org/lss_files/League_of_Municipalities_article.pdf (PDF, 5.7 MB)
- Bayliss S. Libraries respond to Hurricane Sandy, offering refuge, wifi, and services to needy communities. School Library Journal. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 1. Available from: http://www.slj.com/2012/11/featured/libraries-respond-to-hurricane-sandy-offering-refuge-wifi-and-services-to-needy-communities/#_
- Bayliss S. New York City libraries relatively unscathed; New Jersey still taking stock. Library Journal [Internet]. 2012 Nov 1. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/11/industry-news/new-york-city-libraries-relatively-unscathed-new-jersey-still-taking-stock/
- Beales D. Before disaster strikes: essentials of formulating a library emergency management plan. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2003 Dec; 3(4):11-24. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J186v03n04_03
- Berry III JN. 2015 Gale/LJ Library of the year: Ferguson Municipal Public Library, MO, Courage in crisis. Library Journal [Internet]. 2015 Jun 8. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2015/06/awards/2015-galelj-library-of-the-year-ferguson-municipal-public-library-mo-courage-in-crisis
- Berry III JN. Librarian of the year 2009: team Cedar Rapids; after the flood, CRPL buoys the community. Library Journal [Internet]. 2009 Jan 15;134(1). Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/awards/librarian-of-the-year-2009-team-cedar- rapids
- Bertot JC, Jaeger PT, Langa LA, McClure CR. Drafted: I want you to deliver e-government. Public access computing grows, but libraries need more funding to serve as the first refuge and last resort for e-government support, public computing, and Internet access. Library Journal. [Internet]. 2006 Aug 1;131(13):34-37. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2006/08/academic-libraries/drafted-i- want-you-to-deliver-e-government/
- Bertot JC, Jaeger PT, Langa LA, McClure CR. Public access computing and internet access in public libraries: the role of public libraries in e-government and emergency situations. First Monday [Internet]. 2006 Sept 4;11(9):[about 26 pages]. Available from: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1392/1310
- Bishop B, Veil S. Public libraries as post-crisis information hubs. Public Library Quarterly [Internet]. 2013 Jan;32(1):33-45. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01616846.2013.760390
- Bishop BW, McClure CR, Mandel LH. E-government service roles for public libraries. Public Libraries, 2011; 50(3):32–37. Available from: http://mcclure.ii.fsu.edu/publications/2011/Bishop_McClure_Mandel_FINAL_Sept13_11.pdf
- Block M, Kim A. All (librarian) hands on deck: librarians lead the way on the long journey to recovery and rebuilding. Library Journal. [Internet]. 2006 Mar 15;131(5):22-25. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2006/03/ljarchives/all-librarian-hands-on- deck/
- Braquet D. Information needs in a hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter: reflections on a librarian's volunteer experience. Southeastern Librarian. 2009 Fall;57(3):16-28.
- Braquet DM. Library experiences of Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans flood survivors. LIBRES. 2010;20(1):1-18.
- Brobst JL. Challenge for libraries as information managers: hurricane preparedness and response. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2009;46 (1):1-7.
- Brobst JL, Mandel LH, McClure CR. Public libraries and crisis: roles of public libraries in hurricane/disaster preparedness and response. Crisis Information Management: Communication and Technologies. 2012;155-173.
- Burda M. Training first responders on the use of NLM disaster and emergency preparedness information mobile applications. MAReport. 2013 Fall. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/mar/newsletter/2013/11/training-first-responders-on-the-use-of-nlm-disaster-and-emergency-preparedness-information-mobile-applications/
- Call to put libraries at the forefront of aid. CILIP Update [serial online]. 2013 Jan;12(1):11.
- Celedón A, Pequeño A, Garrido M, Patin B. Disaster response in Chile: the critical role of libraries and telecenters. Seattle: Technology & Social Change Group, University of Washington Information School. [Internet]. 2012 Feb 27;[about 2 pages]. Available from: https://digital.lib.washington.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1773/19638/TASCHA_Chile_Disaster_Brief_20120224.pdf (PDF, 4 MB)
- Chambliss D. Tornado - a narrative. Georgia Library Quarterly. 2011 Summer;48(3):40-43.
- Chant I. After floods, Colorado libraries assess the damage, step in with services. Library Journal [Internet]. 2013 Oct 8. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/10/public-services/after-floods-colorado-libraries-assess-the-damage-step-in-with-services/
- Chartrand RL. Libraries in parlous times: responsibilities and opportunities: an introduction. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):73-85.
- Chiesa AM. Identifying the emergency management profession. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):88-92.
- Clifton S. Terrorism preparedness and response: the librarian's role. [PowerPoint presentation; 10 slides]. 2005 April 11. Available from: http://phpartners.org/ppt/Clifton.ppt
- Cook B. A look at some of this summer’s wild weather events and how libraries responded. American Libraries. 2012 Sept/Oct:[5 pages]. Available from: http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/article/library-heroes-shelter-evacuees-summer-2012
- Cooper ID, Crum JA. New activities and changing roles of health sciences librarians: a systematic review, 1990-2012 [Internet]. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2013 Oct;101(4):268-77. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.101.4.008
- Dar M. In Sandy’s aftermath, school librarians support patrons, communities, and one another. School Library Journal. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 5. Available from: http://www.slj.com/2012/11/librarians/in-sandys-aftermath-school-librarians-support-patrons-communities-and-each-other/
- Davies C. After the floods - two Queensland libraries on the road to recovery. InCite. 2011 Aug;32(8):19.
- Dennis D. Stop disasters! School Library Journal. 2011 May 1;57(5):26-27. Available from: http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/printissuecurrentissue/890021-427/stop_disasters.html.csp
- Dickerson L. Capitalizing on a disaster to create quality services: some lessons from Hurricane Katrina. Public Library Quarterly. 2007;26(1-2):101-115.
- Dobry A. A librarian experiences EMT training. Latitudes. Newsletter for the NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region. 2014 April 1. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/psr/newsletter/2014/04/01/a-librarian-experiences-emt-training/
- Drewes J. To protect and preserve. American Libraries [Internet]. 22 Apr 2013. Available from: http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/04222013/protect-and-preserve
- Eberhart G. Katrina’s terrible toll: librarians rally to provide information for a devastated gulf coast population. American Libraries. 2005 Oct;36(9):14-25.
- Eberhart G. Libraries weather the superstorm. American Libraries. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 4. Available from: http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/11042012/libraries-weather-superstorm
- Eberhart G. Reports still coming in on library flooding from Hurricane Sandy. American Libraries. [Internet]. 2012 Oct 31. Available from: http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/news/10312012/reports- still-coming-library-flooding-hurricane-sandy
- Emergency and disaster preparedness and response. OLA Quarterly. 2008 Winter;14(4). Available from: http://www.olaweb.org/assets/documents/olaq_14no4.pdf (PDF, 691 KB).
- Grandy S. Don't go it alone-building networks for collaborative emergency preparedness. p2.
- Norton J. Nuts and bolts of writing a disaster plan. p6.
- Kern K. It's an emergency: the Portland State University flood. p11
- Uhlig E. Water emergency at Lane Community College archives. p12.
- Fackerell R. So you think you are ready for a disaster? Don't be so sure...learning from the Seaside Public Library experience. p15.
- Kern K. Along the Oregon Trail: disaster preparedness in Oregon libraries and archives. p17.
- Palmer G. Digitization, can it play a role in disaster preparedness?: Notes from the field. p20.
- Norton J. Disaster planning resources. p23.
- Estabrook AD, Byrnes GA, Gilbert CM. Terrorism: one hospital's response. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2002 Mar;2(2):35–54.
- Fanwood Library shines as community hub during Hurricane Sandy. Suburban News. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 8. Available from: http://www.nj.com/suburbannews/index.ssf/2012/11/fanwood_library_shines_as_comm.html
- Featherstone RM. Disaster information specialist: an emerging role for health librarians. Journal of Library Administration. 2012;52(8):731-753. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01930826.2012.746875
- Featherstone RM, Boldt RG, Torabi N, Konrad S. Provision of pandemic disease information by health sciences librarians: a multisite comparative case series. Journal of the Medical Library Association [Internet]. 2012 Apr;100(2):104-112. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324800
- Featherstone RM, Lyon BJ, Ruffin AB. Library roles in disaster response: an oral history project by the National Library of Medicine. Journal of the Medical Library Association [Internet]. 2008 Oct;96(4):343-350. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2568836
- Fialkoff F. FEMA fails again: libraries are ever more essential to disaster recovery. Library Journal [Internet]. 2009 May 15.
- Flagg G. Hawaiian Librarians Aid in Tsunami Recovery in American Samoa. American Libraries [Internet]. 2009 Nov 11. Available from: http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/article/hawaiian- librarians-aid-tsunami-recovery-american-samoa
- Fleischer SV, Heppner M. Disaster planning for libraries and archives: what you need to know and how to do it. Library & Archival Security. 2009 July/Dec;22(2):125-140. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01960070902904167
- Fletcher AM. No point of reference: a hurricane of medical information needs. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2006;6(2):1-14. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J186v06n02_01
- Florida State University, College of Communication and Information, School of Library and Information Studies. Hurricane/disaster preparedness and response by utilizing Florida public libraries: update. Hurricane Preparedness and Response for Florida Public Libraries. 2010, March 3. Retrieved from http://hurricanes.ii.fsu.edu/docs/PL_HurricaneTwoPager_March3_10c.pdf (PDF, 150 KB)
- Folb BL, Detlefsen EG, Quinn SC, Barron G, Trauth JM. Information practices of disaster preparedness professionals in multidisciplinary groups. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. [Internet]. 2010;47(1):1–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/meet.14504701226
- Frank JM. The impact of Hurricane Katrina on Gulf Coast libraries and their disaster planning [dissertation]. [Ann Arbor]: ProQuest; 2011. 113 p. Available from: http://gradworks.umi.com/14/95/1495049.html
- Gallagher SKJ, Adams A, Howard A, Robertson D, Reynolds R, Winn C. Libraries and wellbeing in post-earthquake Christchurch. Presented at the Researching the Health Implications of Seismic Events Symposium. Christchurch, NZ. 2013 Nov. Available from: https://ourarchive.otago.ac.nz/handle/10523/4387
- Gilbert C. Code yellow: library 9-1-1. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2008 Mar; 8(1):25–37. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15323260801927342
- Golberg B. Joplin public library is safe amid post-tornado chaos [updated]. American Libraries [Internet]. 2011 May 24;[about 3 pages]. Available from: http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blog/joplin-public- library-safe-amid-post-tornado-chaos-updated
- Golberg B. Massachusetts mayor: library service is essential after tornado. American Libraries [Internet]. 2011 Jun 08;[about 1 page]. Available from: http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/article/massachusetts-mayor-library-service-essential-after-tornado
- Green D. After the flood: disaster response and recovery planning. Bull Med Libr Assoc [Internet]. 1990 Jul [cited 2012 Dec 2];78(3):303-6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1620/tjem.225.77
- Griffen AM. Potential roles of the public library in the local emergency management program: a simulation. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):122-130.
- Hagar C. Public library partnerships with local agencies to meet community disaster preparedness and response needs. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference of the Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management. Kristiansand, Norway, 2015 May 24-27. Available from: http://iscram2015.uia.no/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/9-2.pdf (PDF, 381 KB)
- Hagar C. Editorial. Strengthening community resilience efforts in disasters: exploring the roles of public libraries. Journal of Emergency Management. 2015 May/June;13(3):191-194.
- Hagar C. Crisis informatics. In Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (3rd ed.) (pp.1350-1358). Hershey, PA: IGI-Global; 2014.
- Hagar C. The US public library response to natural disasters: A “whole community approach.” World Libraries. 2011;21(11). The journal issue is officially identified as vol. 21, no. 11, 2011. The actual publication date is December 19, 2014. Available from http://ojsserv.dom.edu/ojs/index.php/worldlib/article/view/548
- Halsted D, Clifton S, Wilson D. Library as safe haven: disaster planning, response, and recovery; A how-to-do-it manual for librarians. Chicago: Neil-Schuman; 2014. 160 p.
- Hamilton R. The state library of Louisiana and public libraries' response to hurricanes: issues, strategies, and lessons. Public Library Quarterly. 2011 Jan-Mar;30(1):40-53. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01616846.2010.525385
- Harris R, Wathen CN, Chan D. Public library responses to a consumer health inquiry in a public health crisis. Reference and User Services Quarterly. 2005 Winter;45(2):146-154. Available from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20864480
- Hayes S. Disasters and libraries: a short story. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. 2009 Jul-Sep;9(3):335-337. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15323260903014650
- Heezen R. Building for the future: an examination of best practices and accomplishments from Louisiana libraries. Louisiana Libraries. 2011 Summer;74(1):10-13.
- Heverin T, Zach, L. Twitter for city police department information sharing. Proceedings of the Seventy-Third American Society for Information Science and Technology Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. [Internet]. 2010;[7 pages]. Available from: http://www.asis.org/asist2010/proceedings/proceedings/ASIST_AM10/submissions/277_Final_Submission.pdf (PDF, 250 KB)
- Heverin T, Zach, L. Microblogging for crisis communication: examination of twitter use in response to a 2009 violent crisis in Seattle-Tacoma, Washington area. Proceedings of the Seventh International Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management Conference, Seattle, Washington. [Internet]. 2010;[5 pages]. Available from: http://www.thomasheverin.com/uploads/4/6/5/8/4658640/heverin_iscram_2010.pdf (PDF, 50 KB)
- Hochstein C, Arnesen S, Goshorn J, Szczur M. Selected resources for emergency and disaster preparedness and response from the United States National Library of Medicine. Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2008;27(1):1-20. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0361- 3666.2003.00237.x
- Holman T. Lodi Library a haven for people after the storm. NorthJersey.com. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 15. Available from: http://www.northjersey.com/news/179423051_Lodi_Library_a_haven_for_people_after_the_storm.html
- Hoski V. Healthful help for the homebound during disasters. The MAR Report: Quarterly Newsletter of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region (MAR). [Internet]. 2015 Winter. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/mar/newsletter/2015/02/healthful-help-for-the-homebound-during-disasters/
- Hunterdon libraries take up slack after Hurricane Sandy victims lose home internet and Wi-Fi. Hunterdon County Democrat. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 1. Available from: http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/11/hunterdon_libraries_take_up_sl.html
- Hurricane Sandy: Somerset County libraries open as warming, recharging and information spots. The Messenger Gazette. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 5. Available from: http://www.nj.com/messenger-gazette/index.ssf/2012/11/hurricane_sandy_somerset_county_libraries_open_as_warming_recharging_and_information_spots.html
- Jaeger PT, Langa LA, McClure CR, Bertot JC. The 2004 and 2005 Gulf Coast hurricanes: evolving roles and lessons learned for public libraries in disaster preparedness and community services. Public Library Quarterly. 2006;25(3/4):199-214. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J118v25n03_17
- Jason NH. InFIRE revisited. Fire Technology [Internet]. 22 Jun 2010;49(1):125-133. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10694-010-0163-z
- Jones C, Mitnick S. Open source disaster recovery: case studies of networked collaboration. First Monday [Internet]. 2006 May 1;11(5):[about 19 pages]. Available from: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1325/1245
- Joseph C, Champ-Blackwell. Arming librarians on the front line as disaster information specialists. Presentation made at the 2015 Medical Library Association Annual Conference. 2015 May 15-20. Available from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/disted/video/mla_2015/arming
- Kahn M. Disaster response and planning for libraries. 3rd ed. Chicago: American Library Association; 2012.
- Kelley M. ALA Midwinter 2011: Cedar Rapids new public library helped spur FEMA change. Library Journal [Internet]. 2011 Jan 19.
- Kelley M. ALA midwinter 2011: FEMA recognizes libraries as essential community organizations. Library Journal [Internet]. 2011 Jan 11;[about 1 page].
- Kelley M. Alabama libraries report heavy damage from recent storms. Library Journal [Internet]. 2011 May 02.
- Kern K, Togh A. A perspective on preservation and disaster response preparedness in Oregon libraries. OLA Quarterly. 2011 Winter;17(4):8-12. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/1093-7374.1338
- Kim S, Pinkerton T, Ganesh N. Assessment of H1N1 questions and answers posted on the Web. American Journal of Infection Control. 2012 April;40(3):211-217. Available from: http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(11)00317-8/abstract
- Kimmelman M. Next time, libraries could be our shelters from the storm. New York Times [Internet]. 2013 Oct 2. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/arts/design/next-time-libraries-could-be-our-shelters-from-the-storm.html?smid=pl-share
- King J. Building the Pandemic Influenza Digital Archive (PIDA) at the National Institutes of Health Library. Sci-Tech News [Internet]. 2010;64(3), Article 6. Available from: http://jdc.jefferson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1099&context=scitechnews (PDF, 243 KB).
- Klapperstuck K, Quinn S, Burnash E, Quinn T. State librarian podcast, November 13, 2012 - Hurricane Sandy. New Jersey State Library. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 15. Available from: http://www.njstatelib.org/news/2012/nov/15/state_librarian_podcast_november_13_2012_hurricane_sandy
- Kniffel L. Disaster relief… with books. American Libraries [Internet]. 2013 May. Available from: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/713d33a6#/713d33a6/30
- Koustova H. Disaster Information Management Research Center (DIMRC): A Gateway to Disaster Information Resources. Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries. 2010 Dec 03;7(4):326-335. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15424065.2010.527251
- Kramer S. Greenburgh Residents seek refuge from Sandy at library. Daily Voice [Internet]. 2012 Oct 30. Available from: http://greenburgh.dailyvoice.com/news/greenburgh-residents-seek-refuge-sandy-library&lang=en
- Langford M., Weeks R., Lawson DR. (2013). Chapter 11: In the wake of Hurricane Ike: The Houston Public Library responds. Public Libraries and Resilient Cities (pp. 127-136). Chicago: American Library Association.
- Lamont J. KM’s role in the aftermath of a disaster. KM World [Internet]. 2005 Nov 1;14(10):[about 1 page]. Available from: http://www.kmworld.com/Articles/News/News-Analysis/KM's-role-in-the-aftermath-of-disaster-14549.aspx
- Langraf G. Tracking Ebola in Liberia. American Libraries. [Internet] 2014 Oct 3: [about 2 pages]. Available from: http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/article/tracking-ebola-liberia
- Leue R. Libraries are quick & creative in their community outreach post-Hurricane Sandy. Insight&outlook [Internet]. 2012 Nov 8. Available from: http://www.wolper.com/2012/11/libraries-and-community-outreach-post-hurricane-sandy/
- Library Journal. Scott Bonner - Movers & shakers - Community builders: What libraries do. [Internet]. 2015 Mar 20. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2015/03/people/movers-shakers-2015/scott-bonner-movers-shakers-2015-community-builders
- Libraries respond in Katrina's wake. Library Journal [Internet]. 2005 Sept 2;[about 2 pages]. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2005/09/ljarchives/libraries-respond-in-katrinas-wake/
- Long SA. Recovery and renewal: libraries lead the way in post-Katrina New Orleans. New Library World. 2006;107(11-12):552-554.
- Love CB, Arnesen SJ , Phillips SJ. Ebola outbreak response: the role of information resources and the National Library of Medicine. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2014 Oct 17;4 pages. Available from:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2014.108
- Love CB, Arnesen SJ, Phillips SJ, Windom R. National Library of Medicine Disaster Information Management Research Center: achieving the vision, 2010–2013. Information Services & Use. 2014 Sept 16;34(1-2):149-170. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/ISU-140731
- Love CB, Arnesen SJ , Phillips SJ. National Library of Medicine Disaster Information Management Research Center: establishment and growth, 2008–2010. Information Services & Use . 2013 Dec 2;33(3-4):273-298. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/ISU-130709
- Magrath LL, Dowlin KE. The potential for development of a clearinghouse for emergency information in the public library. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):131-135.
- Mallery M. ed. Technology disaster response and recovery planning: a LITA guide. ALA TechSource. 2015. Available from: http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=11346
- Malizia M, Hamilton R, Littrell D, Vargas K, Olney C. Connecting public libraries with community responders. Public Libraries Online [Internet]. 2012 May/June;51(3):32-37. Available from: http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2013/04/emergency_responders/
- Mandel LH, McClure CR, Brobst J, Lanz EC. Helping libraries prepare for the storm with web portal technology. Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science & Technology [Internet]. 2010 Jun-Jul;36(5):22-26. Available from: http://www.asis.org/Bulletin/Jun-10/JunJul10_Mandel_McClure_Brobst_Lanz.html
- Marshall O. A librarian disaster in New Orleans. Library Media Connection. 2006 April/May;24(7):18-21.
- Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. Libraries to serve as disaster recovery centers. [Internet]. 2008 Nov 07;[about 2 pages.]. Available from: http://mblc.state.ma.us/mblc/news/releases/past-releases/2008/nr081107.php
- Matsui K. Cheering ourselves up through children's book: Bookbird helps quake-hit North Japan. Bookbird: A Journal of International Children's Literature. 2012 Jan;50(1):69-74. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/bkb.2012.0011
- Matthews G. Disaster management: sharing experience, working together across the sector. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science. 2005 Jun;37(2):63-74. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0961000605055356
- Matthews J, Wiggins R. Libraries, the internet, and September 11th. First Monday [Internet]. 2001 Dec 3;6(12):[about 5 pages]. Available from: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/909/818
- Maynard-Parisi C. Since Sandy, Maplewood library is booming. Maplewood Patch. [Internet]. 2012 Oct 31. Available from: http://maplewood.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/since-sandy-maplewood-library-is-booming
- McCay L. Notes from a congressional informer. Special Libraries 1987;78(2):112-115.
- McClure CR, Ryan J, Mandel LH, Brobst J, Hinnant CC, Andrade J, Snead JT. Hurricane preparedness and response for Florida public libraries. Florida Libraries [Internet]. 2009 Spring;52 (1):4-7. Available from: http://www.flalib.org/fl_lib_journal/FLA%20Spring09a.pdf (PDF, 3 MB)
- McClure CR, Mandel LH, Brobst J, Hinnant, CC, Snead, JT, Ryan J. Public libraries in hurricane preparedness and response. 75-90 p. In: Bertot JC, Jaeger PT, McClure CR, editors. Public libraries and the Internet: roles, perspectives, and implications. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited; 2011. Available from: http://mcclure.ii.fsu.edu/publications/2011/McClure_Mandel_Brobst_Hinnant_Snead_Ryan- 2011.pdf (PDF, 1 MB)
- McCoy MJ. The forces of nature or dancing with the three ladies. Texas Library Journal. 2005 Winter;81(4):142-143.
- McGuire L. Planning for a pandemic influenza outbreak: roles for librarian liaisons in emergency delivery of educational programs. Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2007;26(4):1-13. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J115v26n04_01
- McHone-Chase SM. The role of interlibrary loan in disaster prepreparedness and recovery. Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery & Electronic Reserves. 2010 Jan/Mar;20(1):53-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10723030903495358
- McKnight M. Health sciences librarians’ reference services during a disaster: more than just collection protection. Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2006;25(3):1-12. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J115v25n03_01
- McKnight M, Zach L. Choices in chaos: designing research to investigate librarians' information services improvised during a variety of community-wide disasters and to produce evidence-based training materials for librarians. Evidence Based Library and Information Practice. 2007;2(3):59-75. Available from: https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/viewArticle/253
- Medical Library Association. Role of information services in emergency preparedness and response. Medical Library Association continuing education course 800. [Internet]. 2005 May 15; [symposium materials on the Internet].
- Medical Library Association. Survival tips and stories: expanding the library's services in times of disaster. MLA Distance Learning Educational Webcast. [Internet]. 2008 Nov 12 [updated 9 Oct 2009]; [1 webcast, about 2 hours]. Available from: http://mlanet.org/education/distance_ed/disaster
- Meier PP. Verifying crowdsourced social media reports for live crisis mapping: an introduction to information forensics. [Internet]. 2011 Nov 29;[24 pages]. Available from: http://irevolution.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/meier-verifying- crowdsourced-data-case-studies.pdf (PDF, 253 KB)
- Miller R. Bringing 21 libraries back to the Gulf Coast: tales of resilience, lessons learned. Library Journal [Internet]. 2011 Aug 16;[about 4 pages]. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2011/08/buildings/bringing-21-libraries-back-to-the-gulf-coast-tales-of-resilience-lessons-learned
- Moore M, Burrows S, Collins M, Roderer N. Libraries and publishers respond to disaster with groundbreaking collaboration. Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries. 2011 Jan-Mar;8(1):54-62. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15424065.2011.551495
- Morentz JW. Computerizing libraries for emergency planning. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):100-04.
- Muller K. Community disaster response. karenmuller's blog. American Library Association. [Internet]. Available from: http://www.ala.org/tools/community-disaster-response
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine, South Central Region. Public libraries and first responders: partners in emergency response . [Internet]. 2013 May 13. [1 video, 2 min.18 sec.] Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUEChxl74g
- New Jersey Hospital Association. Thinking the unthinkable - biochemical terrorism and disasters: information resources for medical librarians. 2001 Dec 5. [seminar slides and handouts].
- New Jersey State Library. OPAL Advanced: A Way to Get Your Library Up and Running After a Disaster. [Internet]. 2013 Nov 12. Available from: http://www.njstatelib.org/news/2013/nov/12/opal_advanced_a_way_to_get_your_library_up_and_running_after_a_dis
- New York Public Library. The New York Public Library responds to public's need in the wake of the September 11 tragedy with a new series of programs. [Internet]. 2001 Oct 2;[about 1 page].
- Norton MJ, Wilson DT, Yowell SS. Partnering to promote service continuity in the event of an emergency: a successful collaboration between two interlibrary loan departments. J Med Libr Assoc [Internet]. 2009 Apr [cited 2012 Dec 2];97(2):131-4. Available from:http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.2.010
- Oder N. In reversal, FEMA agrees to fund interim library service in Cedar Rapids; will key role of libraries in disaster relief be memorialized in new policy? Library Journal [Internet]. 2009 Dec 28 [cited 2012 Jun 6]; 135(1).
- Oder N. Insights on disaster response at FSU panel with state librarians from SE. Library Journal. [Internet]. 2009 Mar 31;[about 5 pages]. Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6646914.html
- Oder N. When a fire hit, a rural OC library was there to help. Library Journal [Internet]. 2008 May 30;[about 2 pages]. Available from: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2008/05/ljarchives/when-a-fire-hit-a-rural-oc-library-was-there-to-help/
- Orel G. Montclair Public Library was a 'clean, well-lighted place' during the storm. Montclair Times. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 20. Available from: http://www.northjersey.com/news/180238311_The_Montclair_Public_Library_was_a__clean__well-lighted_place__during_the_storm.html?c=y&page=1
- Paulaitis G, Vardell E, Shipley J. Collaborating with public librarians to promote emergency preparedness and safety awareness. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet. 2011 Oct- Dec;15(4):313-321. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15398285.2011.623556
- Perlman E. Critical connectors: during emergencies, citizens and even some disaster workers depend on libraries for Internet connections to the world. Washington, DC: Governing.com. [Internet]. 2006 Dec;[about 1 page]. Available from: http://www.governing.com/columns/tech- talk/Critican-Connectors.html
- Piccoli K. West Islip public library open, offering charging stations and wifi . Westlslip Patch [Internet]. 2012 oct 31. Available from: http://westislip.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/west- islip-public-library-open-offering-charging-stat38f80c3a84
- Poole N. The role of libraries in times of crisis. Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals blog. [Internet]. 2015 Oct 13. Available from: http://www.cilip.org.uk/cilip/blog/role-libraries-times-crisis
- Porter D. Hurricane Sandy revealed some huge problems tech founders need to start solving. Business Insider. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 5. Available from: http://www.businessinsider.com/hurricane-sandy-reveals-new-startup- opportunities-2012-11
- Potash S. A day in the desert: librarians engage in extreme outreach. NLM in Focus. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 16. Available from: http://infocus.nlm.nih.gov/2012/11/a-day-in-the-desert-librarians.html
- Putnam L. By choice or by chance: how the internet is used to prepare for, manage, and share information about emergencies. First Monday [Internet]. 2002 Nov 4;7(11):[about 14 pages]. Available from: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1007/928
- Queens Library staff members. The library as lifeline: getting past Superstorm Sandy. American Libraries [Internet]. 2012 Dec 28. Available from: http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/12282012/library-lifeline-getting-past-superstorm-sandy
- Rasmussen C. Hurricane-stressed teachers get digital help from NSDL and DLESE. UCAR Quarterly [Internet]. 2005 Fall;[about 1 page]. Available from: http://www.ucar.edu/communications/quarterly/fall05/teachers.html
- Red Hook library reopens after Superstorm Sandy. Brooklyn Daily Eagle [Internet]. 4 April 2013. Available from: http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articles/red-hook-library-reopens-after-superstorm-sandy-2013-04-04-212100
- Register Staff. Greater New Haven libraries completely booked with residents looking for internet, electricity. New Haven Register [Internet]. 2012 Oct 31. Available from: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/10/31/news/doc5091cd2e8282d049348096.txt?viewmode=fullstory
- Reynolds P, Tamanaha I. Disaster Information Specialist Pilot Project: NLM/DIMRC. Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2010 Oct-Dec;29(4):394-404. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02763869.2010.518929
- Robertson D. SLA’s response to natural disasters. Information Outlook [Internet]. 2005;9(10):[about 8 pages].
- Roeder L. Editorial. Understanding emergency management information. Journal of Emergency Management. 2015 May/June;13(3):188-190.
- Robison B, Marlatt GE. Libraries in the war on terrorism. ONLINE [Internet]. 2006 Sept/Oct;[about 5 pages]. Available from: http://www.infotoday.com/online/sep06/Robison_Marlatt.shtml
- Rohr A. Forging a resilient revitalization for New Orleans Public Library. American Libriaries. 2011 May/Jun;42(5/6):22.
- Sakamoto K, Minamidate Y, Nagai T. Messages from a medical library in the earthquake-prone zone. Tohoku J Exp Med [Internet]. 2011 Sept [cited 2012 Dec 2];225(2):77-80. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1620/tjem.225.77
- Samtani H. In Sandy’s wake, library systems help city keep students connected. School Library Journal: Extra Helping. [Internet]. 2012 Dec 1. Available from: http://www.slj.com/2012/12/public-libraries/in-sandys-wake-library-systems-help-city-keep-students-connected/
- Schwartz M. Urban Librarians Unite plants mini libraries, plans conference. [Internet]. Library Journal. 13 Feb 2013. Available: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/02/advocacy/urban-librarians-unite-plants-mini-libraries-plans-conference/
- Sheldon TP, Hendrickson GO. Emergency management and academic library resources. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):93-99.
- Skinner RE. “Nor any drop to drink”: New Orleans libraries in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Public Library Quarterly. 2008;25(3–4):179–187.
- Soled EH, Veverka EA, Krieg J, Barriett J, Allan RJ. Information technology utilization in emergency management at Exxon Research and Engineering Company. Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):116-21.
- Smith SH, Bennett KJ, Livinski AA. Evolution of a search: the use of dynamic Twitter searches during Superstorm Sandy. PLOS Current Disasters. [Internet] 2014 Sep 26;18 pages. Available from: http://currents.plos.org/disasters/article/evolution-of-a-search-the-use-of-dynamic-twitter-searches-during-superstorm-sandy
- Spear L. Kids book it to the Westwood Library after Hurricane Sandy. NorthJersey.com. [Internet]. 2012 Nov 2. Available from: http://www.northjersey.com/news/176999661_Kids_book_it_to_the_Westwood_Library_after_Hurricane_Sandy.html?page=all
- State library partners with publisher to help Hurricane Sandy victims tackle 'do-it-yourself ' repairs safely. Lawrenceville Patch [Internet]. 29 Nov 2012. Available from: http://lawrenceville.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/state-library-partners-with-online-publisher-to-help-1784033ea0
- Stricker M. Sheltering in the stacks: with the right plan in place, your library can be a lifesaver in times of need. New Jersey Municipalities. 2014 Dec 1: 48-52. Available from: http://www.njstatelib.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Shelteringinthestacks.pdf (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Strong GE. Rats! Oh no, not rats! Special Libraries. 1987;78(2):105-111.
- Swain R, Oliver KB, Rankin JA, Bonander J, Loonsk JW. Bioterrorism alert: reference and literature support for the CDC Director's Emergency Operations Center (DOEC) and investigative field teams. Reference Services Review. [Internet]. 2004;32(1):74-82. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00907320410519496
- Tadman A. Reflections on Ochsner Medical Library: a year after the storm. Louisiana Libraries. 2006 Fall;69(2);3-5.
- Taylor MV, Stephenson PL. Disaster and emergency preparedness: a webliography. Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet. [Intenet] 2013;17(1):54-66. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15398285.2013.757509
- Terasawa M. Reviewing information support during the great East Japan earthquake disaster: from the perspective of a hospital library that received support (English). Journal of Information Processing & Management. 2012 Mar;54(12):819-824. Available from: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012JIPM...54..819TM
- Vardell E. Chemical hazards emergency medical management (CHEMM). Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 2012 Jan;31(1):73-83. Available from: http://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/health_informatics_research/22/
- Veil S, Bishop B. Opportunities and challenges for public libraries to enhance community resilience. Risk Analysis. 2013 Oct;34(4):721-732. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/risa.12130/full
- Volesko MM. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the ark. Internet Reference Services Quarterly. 2001 Sep; 6(3-4):99–131. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J136v06n03_08
- Weiss L. CO library serves kids "on the fly" as wildfires rage. School Library Journal. [Internet]. 2012 Jun 19;[about 2 pages]. Available from http://www.slj.com/2012/06/public-libraries/co-library-serves-kids-on-the-fly-as-wildfires-rage
- Welsh TS, Higgins SE. Public libraries post-Hurricane Katrina: a pilot study. Library Review. 2009;58(9):652-659. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/00242530910997937
- Will BH. The public library as community crisis center. Library Journal. [Internet]. 2001 Dec 15;[about 6 pages]. Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA185136.html
- Williams G. Librarians and working families: bridging the information divide. Library Trends [Internet]. 2002 Summer;50(2):[about 7 pages]. Available from: https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/8449
- Wilson DT, Yowell SS. Become agents of community resilience. Information Outook. 2013 Jul-Aug;17(4):16-17,22.
- Wilson DT, Yowell SS, Holst R. Take ten: a ten-step approach to emergency preparedness and service continuity. Journal of Hospital Librarianship [Internet]. 2009;9(2):139-46. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15323260902809902
- Wilson V. Public libraries can play an important role in the aftermath of a natural disaster. Evidence Based Library & Information Practice. 2010;5(3):59-61. Available from: http://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/view/8288
- Yee V. Despite ruin, library offers books and community. New York Times [Internet]. 2012 Nov 26. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/nyregion/after-storm-destruction-rockaway-libraries-help-keep-community-afloat.html?hpw&_r=2&
- Yeh F, McMullen KD, Kane LT. Disaster planning in a health sciences library: a grant-funded approach. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 98(3);2010 July:259-61. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2901008
- Zach L. What do I do in an emergency? The role of public libraries in providing information during times of crisis. Science & Technology Libraries. 2011;30(4):404-413. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0194262X.2011.626341
- Zach L, McKnight M. Special services in special times: responding to changed information needs during and after community-based disasters. Public Libraries. 2010 Mar/Apr;49(2):39-45.
- Zach L, McKnight M. Innovative information services improvised during disasters: evidence-based education modules to prepare students and practitioners for shifts in community needs. JELIS. 2010 Spring;51(2):76-85. Available from: http://www.ischool.drexel.edu/faculty/lzach/docs/JELIS.pdf (PDF, 302 KB)
- Zavalick C. Bernardsville Library serves as multi-purpose center. Bernardsville News [Internet]. 2012 Nov 9. Available from: http://newjerseyhills.com/bernardsville_news/news/bernardsville-library-serves-as-multi-purpose-center/article_a8faeaf8-29b6-11e2-bc59-001a4bcf887a.html
- Symposia and Conferences
- Association of Caribbean University, Research and Institutional Libraries. ACURIL 2011: the role of libraries and archives in disaster preparedness, response, and research, May 30, 2011 - Jun 03, 2011. [conference materials on the Internet]. Includes the 178-page conference proceedings. Available from: http://guides.lib.usf.edu/ACURIL_2011
- Brobst J, Mandel L. Challenge for libraries as information managers: hurricane preparedness and response. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2009;46(1):1-7.
- National Library of Medicine, Disaster Information Management Research Center. Disaster information outreach: a symposium for information professionals meeting disaster health information needs (day 1). 2011 Mar 29;[1 videocast, 368 min., 238 slides]. Available from: http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=10101
- National Library of Medicine, Disaster Information Management Research Center. Disaster information outreach: a symposium for information professionals meeting disaster health information needs (day 2). 2011 Mar 30;[1 videocast, 194 min., 161 slides]. Available from: http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=10102
- National Library of Medicine. [Internet]. Disaster Information Outreach Symposium draws large, enthusiastic audience. NLM In Focus. 2011 Apr 29;[about 3 pages]. Available from: http://infocus.nlm.nih.gov/2011/04/nlm-disaster-information-outre.html
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Summit in Charlottesville, VA. Normalcy and Intelligence: A forum to discuss ways libraries and information professionals can strengthen a community’s emergency planning strategy. [Internet]. 2014 May 6; [about 5 pages]. Available from http://nnlm.gov/ep/2014/05/09/report-of-the-nnlm-emergency-preparedness-response-summit-in-charlottesville-va
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. Unity for the Community: a report of the panel discussion during the NN/LM Emergency Preparedness and Response Summit at the Washington County Free Public Library. [Internet]. 2014 Jan 23; [about 5 pages]. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/ep/2014/01/25/unity-for-the-community-a-report-of-the-panel-discussion-at-the-nnlm-emergency-preparedness-and-response-summit-at-the-washington-county-free-public-library/
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine, New England Region. Emergency Preparedness and Response Summit, Meeting Summary. [Internet]. 2013 Nov 22. 10 p. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/ep/2014/01/10/report-of-the-nnlmnew-england-region-extreme-weather-disaster-summit/
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. NN/LM Washington DC Power Outage Summit. NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Toolkit. [Internet]. 2012 Sept 5; [about 1 page]. Available from http://nnlm.gov/ep/2012/08/02/announcing-the-nnlm-washington-dc-power-outage-summit/
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. Meeting report: NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Initiative Earthquake Summit. NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Toolkit. [Internet]. 2012 April 6;[about 9 pages]. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/ep/2012/05/04/nnlm-san-francisco-earthquake-summit-report/
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. Meeting report: NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Initiative Hurricane Summit. NN/LM Emergency Preparedness & Response Toolkit. [Internet]. 2012 Feb 8;[about 11 pages]. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/ep/2012/03/05/report-of-the-nnlm-hurricane-summit
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine. National Emergency Preparedness National Collaboration Project: Core Member Planning Meeting, Meeting Summary. [Internet]. 2006 Feb 1-2; [about 16 pages]. Available from: http://nnlm.gov/evaluation/docs/LA_meeting_report.doc
- Library Stories
- Stories collected from around the U.S. related to disasters that have affected library operations.
- Robert M. Bird Health Sciences Library, University of Oklahoma
Marty Thompson, Director of the library, discusses how the library was involved in the aftermath of the bombing in Oklahoma City in April 1995.
- Pasco County Library System, Florida
Terri Romberger, Library Systems Application Analyst at the Pasco County Library System in New Port Richey, Florida, discusses hurricane season and how it impacts the public library.
- Terrorism Information Center, Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, Oklahoma
Brad Robison, Director of the Terrorism Information Center at the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, discusses his experience during the bombing in Oklahoma City in April 1995 and the disaster information services the library currently provides.
- Tulane University Medical Library, Louisiana
William (Bill) D. Postell Jr., Director of the Tulane University Medical Library, talks about Hurricane Katrina, which directly affected the academic health sciences library in August 2005.
- Center for Knowledge Management, Ochsner Health System, Louisiana
Ethel Ullo Madden, Director of the Center for Knowledge Management at the Ochsner Health System in New Orleans, Louisiana, reflects on her experiences during Hurricane Katrina in August 2005, which affected the hospital library.
- Houston Academy of Medicine, Texas Medical Center Library
Dr. Elizabeth Eaton, Director of the Houston Academy of Medicine, Texas Medical Center Library in Houston, Texas discusses the effects of Hurricane Katrina and flooding at the academic health sciences library in 2005.
- Memphis Public Library and Information Center, Tennessee
Kay Due, Manager of Public Services at the Memphis Public Library and Information Center, discusses the hurricanes that affected the library in July 2003 and August 2005.
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
Bruce Gardham, Senior Librarian for Toronto Public Health in Ontario, Canada, discusses his personal experiences with the SARS epidemic in 2003 and the special library; additionally, it includes the Hotline Information Liaison and Coordination Office Report and other documents.
- New Jersey Hospital Association
Michelle Brewer, Director of Library and Corporate Information Services for NJHA (New Jersey Hospital Association), talks about the events on September 11, 2001, and her involvement.
- Central Library Children’s Room, Houston Public Library, Texas
Sandy Farmer, Manager of the Central Library Children’s Room at the Houston Public Library, talks about how Hurricane Katrina affected the public library in August 2005.
- Southern Louisiana Area Health Education Center
Helen Caruso, a hospital librarian at the Southern Louisiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC) in Covington, Louisiana, discusses her Hurricane Katrina experience during August 2005.
PDF documents can be viewed with the free Adobe® Reader
- Robert M. Bird Health Sciences Library, University of Oklahoma